Culinary: indoor herbs in a strawberry pot

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by rainin, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rainin

rainin Active Member

I have a sunny window in my kitchen and want to grow a few herbs in a strawberry pot. I plan to start from seed: marjoram, thyme, oregano, sage and basil. I have only grown these herbs outside in the ground. Will they do well in a strawberry pot or will I be wasting my time?

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

The problem with a strawberry pot is that some of them will be in shadow.

Also, basil likes more water than the others and can outgrow a small niche on a pot.

3. rainin

rainin Active Member

I see what you mean about the shadow side of the pot. If I left basil out of it and only planted the thyme, oregano and marjoram, could I turn the pot once a day and still supply enough light for the plants? I have never grown herbs indoors before.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

In a bright window, probably. I'd go for it.

You do want to be sure the soil is light and well drained. Herbs like marjoram, thyme, and oregano do better with a little neglect outdoors, but once you put them in a pot, you run the chance of over or under watering.

Good luck with this!

5. rainin

rainin Active Member

My window is bright and I have the perfect soil for them. I have never watered my oregano in my out door pots. I am assuming I would water them much as I do my house plants for the winter. I only water them when they just start to look thirsty. Usually about every 2 weeks as they seem to like to go a little dormant. Thanks for the advice. I am ordering my seeds tomorrow.

6. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

You will probably have much more luck with herbs in that sort of pot than with strawberries, I think. I have found it difficult to keep the soil where it needs to stay in the one I have with succulents growing in it outside.
    I have used ground cover cloth to line the inside so that the soil won't fall out of the top parts of the side openings, slitting it to fit the plants in.
    Post a pic when all is growing for you.
    I wonder how the oregano will do as it gets to be a large plant outside while the thyme & marjoram will stay smaller.
    Parsley does not mind growing in shade.

D

7. rainin

rainin Active Member

I plan to put the oregano in the larger top hole of the pot as it does get pretty big outside. I had never thought of using cloth to line the holes. What a great idea!! Then I will put the marjoram and thyme in the little holes on the sides. Will parsley grow out in an unheated porch in zone 5? I know it is one of the last things to die off in the fall and first to come back in early spring. I think I will try that just to see.