Indigofera decora 'Alba'

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Last week I bought a deciduous shrub, Indigofera decora 'Alba' from the UBC shop and I can't find reference to this plant in any books. Is there another name? What treatment does it require?

Many thanks.

2. Joan

Joan Active Member

Easy!

try Google.... there is a very good description on the first listing!
    Books.. i am lucky enough to have the now out of print Readers Digest A-Z which has a good description and picture. Its a nice easy plant for a small space in the garden, best in sun and good drainage.
    Enjoy!

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I should mention that the 2003-2004 edition of the Royal Horticultural Society Plant Finder (which we use as one of our primary references for plant names at UBC) now lists this plant as:

Indigofera decora f. alba

4. hyacinth

hyacinth Member

Indigofera decora f. alba

Thank you for your reply to my question regarding the Indigofera plant I bot at the Botanical Store. I would like to find some info on this plant, but under the above name, I can't find it in any of my plant books. Is there another clue as to where to look?

5. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Indigofera decora has some synonyms: Indigofera incarnata ((Willd.)Nakai.), Hedysarum incarnatum (Willd.), Hedysarum incanum (Thunb. 1784.) Though these names aren't the correct latin name for the plant, it is possible that older editions of gardening books may use them because at one time, they were thought to be correct latin names. The common name that appears to be most often associated with the plant is indigo or Chinese indigo, if that helps.

Sincerely,
    UBC Hortline

6. Daniel Mosquin