I'm a beginner gardener

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Shaynelle, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Shaynelle

Shaynelle Member

I have been looking for a basic gardening club in the Vancouver area - a club that does not specialize in any one type of plant(s). Through an activities club (VAML) I have started a gardening club and have been absolutely overwhelmed with the large number of people who are interested (over 50 members in only a few weeks, just from this one activities club).

Are there any other clubs designed for beginner gardeners in the Vancouver area? One that welcomes beginners, doesn't concentrate on any one area of plants, and is suitable for gardeners with all sizes of gardens (from large to tiny indoor container gardens).

I'm going to go ahead with my club and hopefully it will continue to grow, but I know so very little about gardening! And I can't afford to take courses on gardening. I've been doing a lot of reading and that helps, but only so much. I am going to start volunteering at Van Dusen but understand I won't be working hands on in the gardens.

Any other suggestions for me?

2. Joan

Joan Active Member

That is an excellent start!
    Vandusen mastergardeners have a speakers bureau which might help your group get started witha few talks.
    Community centers offer beginning courses for gardeners. I know of the Dunbar Gardening Club which meets at the Dunbar Community Centre, which has an interesting varied program and garden visits.
    Going to plant sales, such as Vandusen's on Sunday and UBC Botanical Garden's on May 11th is a good way to talk to people about gardening and get more information about what is going on. Go a bit later in the day to both, say in the early afternoon when people have moretime to chat!
    Good luck.