Identify wild plant from West Virginia

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ScifiNerd, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ScifiNerd

ScifiNerd Member

Can anyone please identify the wild plant from a forest in West Virginia? It has 1, 3, or 5 lobes in the variegated leaves. The picture is attached. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Will you be able to revisit this plant later? I'm wondering if it is going to be a vine (with tendrils).

3. ScifiNerd

ScifiNerd Member

Yes. I will look. These are all along the trails in the Kanawha State Forest in WV. They were of interest because of the rather pretty variegated leaves and the fact that they come as single lobed leaves-just a spade or heart shaped leaf, then others have 3 or 5 distinct lobes. Then there are very similar (identical?) plants which are solid green without variegated leaves. In the last month, we have taken pictures of and identified probably over 100 different wildflowers from this forest and from places in WV clear to Helvetia. Things started blooming very early this year. The wild geraniums, drarf violet iris, jack in the pulpit, trillium, chickweed, white anemone, squaw weed, phlox and violets are pretty much gone. We have not had a freeze here for probably over 6 weeks. The ramps came up in early in mid March rather than in April. I just ate a pile of them for lunch which were dug up 3 weeks ago, cleaned and frozen. White showy skullcaps are now in full bloom, as are flame azeluas, pink Eastern fleabane daisy, and the black raspberries are starting to bloom. Mountain magnolia are still blooming and are fire pinks.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds like a great project. I was near your part of the world just a couple weeks ago, traveling from Atlanta -> Savannah -> Charleston, SC -> Asheville -> GSMNP -> Athens, GA -> Atlanta. And yes, everywhere we went, people were saying spring came very early this year (3 weeks or so). I'd timed the trip for a "normal" year. Still, we saw a lot of diversity, just not necessarily the mass blooms I was hoping for.

5. ScifiNerd

ScifiNerd Member

Is there a way to post pictures to an ongoing thread? I have another plant which may or may not be the same plant!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Sure, just start another post and use the Manage Attachments button below the main space for text (same as the first post you made in this thread)

7. Susan G

Susan G Active Member 10 Years

may be Nabalus (formerly Prenanthes). I have never seen ones with variegated leaves.