Identify these Prairie Wildflowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Kevin McRae, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Kevin McRae

Kevin McRae Member

Hi, I took these photos in Grasslands National Park in South Western Saskatchewan this summer. I'm not much of a plant guy so I'm hoping you guys can identify them for me. A latin name is preferable. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this one in South Eastern Manitoba.

[​IMG]

Here is my main reason for visiting the park. Crotalus viridis viridis

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Kevin, I know it's late and I'm old and tired - but. I'm sitting here looking at your last photo in complete plant mode, trying to make a flower out of a beautiful cobalt blue column with a grey canopy like a mushroom. Suddenly I notice the eyes just above the canopy. SNAKE!! About 10 yrs. old if what they say about the rattles is correct.

The Plant above the snake is I believe an Aquilegia aka columbine. Again it's late and I'm tired so waite for other ideas. ;)) barb

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Two Oenothera species, a Penstemon, an Aquilegia, and two species in the Fabaceae. I'll try to find some time later to be more specific.

4. Chip

Chip Member

Hey Kevin, just checking out the forum and noticed there wasn't an answer for these pics. I'm in Alberta and they looked familiar so I thought I'd give it a shot. The first two might both be Oenothera caespitosa. They can become pinkish with age, although that one's VERY pink. The cream colored flower could be Oxytropis campestris. I'm thinking Penstemon nitidus for the next one and Astragalus spatulata for the other "pea". Finally the Aquilegia might be canadensis? That ones more of a guess...

Hope this helped