idea for espalier, comments?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by sluggo, Nov 4, 2003.

1. sluggo

sluggo Active Member 10 Years

Hi,

I'm interested in developing an espalier in my backyard. Because of space constraints, I was thinking about the following. From what I've read and heard, typically an apple espalier would have three horizontal wires which the tree is trained to, at heights of 60cm, 120cm and 180cm. There would be a 10' distance between trees. However, I was thinking about spacing the trees closer together and have the arms overlap at different heights. So I would have wires at 60cm, 90cm, 120cm, 150, 180cm and 210cm. Tree1 would be trained at 60, 120, 180. Tree2 would be 5' away, trained at 90, 150, 210. The only problem I see with this is that during the summer while the branches are growing vertically will cross each. Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem though.

Thoughts and comments?

cheers
    Doug

2. Tony Maniezzo

Tony Maniezzo Active Member

the beauty of the espalier is that you are only limited by your imagination, while i usually reccomend a single tree in the space and training style that you have suggested, if you have the confidence, go for it and have fun....keep me posted in how it works out.