I think this is a Boraginaceae????

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Apr 20, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

A very good day to all members. Hopefully a member might be able to ID this plant. I found it growing at an altitude of 3140 ft. above sea level. The photographs, only 2 and are not all that good! Strangely enough, I have just noticed 2-3 flowers. Please do not pay any attention to the incorrect ID
    However, I do believe it to be a Boraginaceae! The foliage is very similar to Boraginaceae. I found it difficult to believe that I identified this plant as a sp. of Cynoglossum!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Why do you doubt your Cynoglossum identification? Looks like Cynoglossum officinale to me as well. Colouring of flower matches, foliage looks like a match, clustering of fruit matches.

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hello Mr. Daniel, Thank you for your confirmation! Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer. It was necessary for me to do a little Photo shop work on these 2 photographs.

4. duffy

duffy Active Member

I cannot remember the source where I found a similar photograph. In other field guides the photographs of Cynoglossum officinalis are totally different! This is the reason why I am doubtful about my ID.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Next time check to see if the flower smells like the butter from microwaved popcorn (if you're familiar with that smell).

6. duffy

duffy Active Member

Not at all!

7. Daniel Mosquin

Consider yourself lucky then! It definitely has chemical overtones.