I think my cactus is dying...

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Lizabear, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lizabear

Lizabear Member

well, i got a cactus 2 or so weeks ago, and it was in good shape, but the other cacti up for purchase weren't doing so well.
    my cactus is one that is 4 or so inches tall, green with a red ball-type thing on top. the green part is now getting yellow and not as firm as it was.
    i don't water it much, seeing as it's a cactus... but the times i do water it, is it possible i'm overwatering it? or what other reason might there be that it looks sickly?

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

If you got it only two weeks ago, you would only needed to have watered it thoroughly once since then.

Your plant is a grafted "moon cactus".

If the green stock is turning yellow and soft, it is definitely dying.

Return the plant to where you bought it and get a replacement or a refund.

You do still have your receipt, don't you?

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

With succulents, like cacti, the usual culprits are excessive water and/or poor drainage. Right now (July), most cacti are in their active growth period, and should be at a lower risk for rot. That said, you have a recent purchase, which means a change in environment, and often that means some degree of environmental "shock".

Do not water until the soil is dry. Make sure that when you do water, the soil mix allows for quick drainage out of the bottom of the container. A quick draining mix, an appropriately sized container, and a healthy cactus will dry the soil mix within 2 days, or so (during the growing season). Any longer, then I would suspect an unhealthy root system, an excessively large container, or a soil mix that holds too much water.

Less common things to look out for are soil borne fungi and bugs (especially mealy bugs) caused from excessive water in a soil mix with excessive organic material.

If the plant is indoors, it may benefit from being outdoors if you have a sheltered area where it will NOT receive full sun. A shady spot is best for a few weeks, then you can slowly introduce it to increasing levels of light over time. The increased air circulation and the day/night temperature variations will help dry out the soil quicker and improve the overall health of the plant. Bring it indoors when the overnight temperatures are around 50*F.

Mark

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

if you've only had it a couple of weeks and it's obviously getting ready to bite the bullet, i'd definitely take it back to the store for replacement or refund (or even store credit).

if they replace it, take the new one home and immediately repot it into cactus soil!! what the growers use is peat and when peat completely dries out, it gets hard as a rock. subsequent waterings won't get to the roots properly if the peat is solid AND the stores tend to overwater EVERYTHING and cacti definitely don't need a lot of water...

so, it was most probably overwatered at the store long before you bought it and excess water for a cacti is almost certain death.

oh, you'll also want to use an unglazed clay pot that has at least one drainage hole in the bottom.

good luck with the new one!