I need help with my Peace Lily!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Miss Lady, May 28, 2009.

1. Miss Lady

Miss Lady Member

I purchased a peace lily last year, took it to work to put on my desk and it did great. I brought it home in the winter. I did fine, also. Well lately I've noticed a few mold spots on the soil and the plant hasn't bloomed yet either. The stems where the blooms should be look dry and/or burnt. The tips of the leaves will not stop burning either. It's not in direct sunlight. What it the problem???? Can someone please help me, I do not want this plant to die or stop blooming. It is the only blooming houseplant that I have even though I have SEVERAL houseplants....

2. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

It could be from the water you are using, or from over-fertilization, or even low humidity.

When you water, put the water from the tap in a bucket or jug and let it sit, uncovered, overnight to let the salts dissipate. Also, you can mist the plant daily, or put a tray of pebbles under the plant and fill the tray with water, but make sure the water does not reach the bottom of the pot, cos this will cause root rot. Fertilize with an all purpose fertilizer diluted to half strength of what the directions state. To get it to bloom, make sure it is getting enough light. I keep mine in an east facing window and have flowers non-stop.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i typed a long reply earlier and it didn't post - the forum hiccupped or something.

ditto on what laticauda said. underwatering and overwatering can cause browning of leaf tips. also, the water itself...

always allow tap water to sit over night - so it's room temp (so you don't shock the roots) and to allow excess chlorine to dissipate.

if you've never repotted it, that's more likely what the issue is. i'd unpot it and check the roots - if they're root bound go up a size for the container.

4. Miss Lady

Miss Lady Member

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INSIGHT!!!! I have another question also, I don't have an east facing window, I moved it 2 days ago to my bar in the kitchen which is on the east side of my apartment. I really is a nice, bright location but isn't directly in sun. That should be a good spot for it.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

any location that provides indirect lighting should be fine...east is particularly good for this one because it's very weak light, so, even if it gets direct light for an hour or so, it won't do any harm.

make sure the container has drainage and use a proper growing medium. they like moistness, so you need something that retains a bit of moisture. that said, they also need very good drainage because the roots can easily rot if the moistness becomes too much or sticks around too long.

i've always used a mix of cactus soil, regular potting soil and perlite and they've done very well for me.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009