Hydrangea in Osoyoos

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Yardseller, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Yardseller

Yardseller New Member

I have purchased an Hydrangea and would like some information on where to plant it. Our climate is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter months. I have a spot facing east which gets the morning sun and is shaded in the afternoon. Just curious if this would work, and if not I welcome any suggestions . Thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Do you know what kind of hydrangea it is? Different species have different light requirements, though most are sun to part shade (so, balance of probabilities is that it would be ok in your suggested location).

3. Yardseller

Yardseller New Member

The name on it is White Adore

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hmmm, neither a trade name or cultivar name (that is, a Google search turns up nothing on that name when searched with hydrangea). Colour tag with photo or text tag? (if colour, can you post a photo of the tag?) Sorry to ask for more, it would just help to get to a better answer.

5. Yardseller

Yardseller New Member

There is also another word on the plastic tag Schroll. ? I did plant in east facing direction with morning sun only. Hopefully it survives and thrives. The tag is whie and has WHITE ADORE in capitals and (130 - 12- 02) and SCHROLL in capitals.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Thanks, that helps. Schroll are hydrangea breeders out of Denmark. I did see White Adore™ on an image on their web site. But, the image appears to be a picture taken of a print catalogue, and I don't know enough Danish to figure out if there is more information on their site (though, this looks like it is the newest of the new--something that is only being introduced into the trade for 2018).

They have a section on their site specifically about Gardening Tips with their hydranges (but again, also in Danish): Pasningstips

You can use Google Translate, though, and I think the information that you are seeking is there, e.g., Google Translate

7. Yardseller

Yardseller New Member

Interesting! thank you so much I will google it. I purchased the hydrangea at No Frills grocery store. It was marked down and only $7,49! Very surprised it is a new variety. Thanks again!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    DANIEL - I bet it’s a floral department item - vs - outdoor nursery

That’s why we don’t generally know of it here

I swear by the Endless Summer - eg Blushing Bride

But it lives (in my garden) at the beach nr Vanc

I am experienced gardener in both Okanagan and near ocean in Greater Van ... and I’d be surprised if this hydrangea will thrive as OP hopes in hot dry Osoyoos without a lot of care and attention weekly if not more often and year round

One way would be to choose a hydrangea that likes patio pots in the shade and then the winter in the carport sheltered

If you can grow a nice rhododendron or Hosta or fern in Osoyoos then the hydrangea might do fine esp under some old orchard trees (not generally where conifers grow) - where you can irrigate (but not spray the flowers of hydrangea)

Don’t let it dry out - feed it - water it but not soggy - imagine today in Vancouver - easy water around drip line - don’t spray it esp when blooming cuz you’ll mar the blooms

My blushing bride droops its leaves at Coast on hot days - and it gets little sun (maybe 3 hours)

PS - the reason I like Endless Summer brand is the ease of pruning and the fact that they do bloom on old and new wood - be sure to read official website Re pruning before trimming or picking flowers for bouquets - and they are fairly compact overall plant

EDIT - not sure if we are permitted to add URL links - but this is interesting (in English language) about the company in Denmark - and Portugal. http://www.50044.dk/images/Kataloger/katalog_2018/Katalog-2018_PROFIL_GB.pdf

Here's Endless Summer brand FYI
    Endless Summer Hydrangeas - Endless Color in the Garden

I am not affiliated with any of the companies linked in this post.

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  9. Yardseller

Yardseller New Member

I love hydrangea s. I will see how this little one does and if it manages our hot summer months then I will definitely look for the Endless Summer variety. Thanks for all your helpful information. I will let you know how she makes out this summer. Also thank you for the tip on watering below and not the flowers. Something good to know. Today we have rain, believe it or not! and it is getting watered naturally.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2018