Hummingbird Vine

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by tirk187, Jul 31, 2008.

1. tirk187

tirk187 Member

I have a trumpet vine on both sides of a trellis over my fish pond. One side is growing really well but the other side hasn't grown at all over the summer. It is nice and green but just won't grow. Is there anything I can go to it to get it to take off?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    Since it is summer, you can pick off the tips of the side that is not doing well (hand pruning/pinching). This action will stimulate the plant to sprout new buds on the stem and will hopefully revitalize the vigor of the plant. Do make sure to water the plant as needed. It is up to your discretion whether or not you would like to use fertilizer, but the extra nutrients will help the plant. Alternatively, you can use compost tea as a good alternative to fertilizer.
    During late winter or early spring time, consider pruning back the plant - Trumpet vines can handle aggressive pruning (as long as they are well established - 2+ years old). Winter pruning will hopefully stimulate vigorous growth for the next season.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck and good gardening!

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Is there a difference in sun exposure on the two sides of the trellis? Trumpet vine does need sun, and I wonder if the one that is not growing as vigorously is getting less sun.

4. tirk187

tirk187 Member

Thanks for the info. I will try fertilizer. Is Miracle Grow O.K. to use?