Hug a tree

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by jimmyq, May 24, 2004.

1. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Took this pic to post on a different board but I thought maybe I could get a thread going around these parts. Share you plant appreciation pics....

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Paul,

Nice shot. That's a Betula papyrifera, isn't it? I make a habit of hugging trees. I don't want people to read anything "New Age" into my behaviour, but I do think it helps me to connect on a more intimate level with the natural world. I think that's something we all could use on a regular basis. Besides, it gives me a real sense of how big the particular tree really is.

Interestingly, I was at the Capilano Suspension Bridge and "Treetops Adventure" canopy walkway with a group of friends the other day. Our group, and I expect everyone else, was asked specifically to refrain from hugging the trees. The handling of the trees (they're all Pseudotsuga menziesii) was causing the bark to deteriorate at a rapid rate. Of course, they're getting hundreds of thousands of people through the gate, so I can appreciate the rule.

By the way, if you haven't been there, it's fabulous. It isn't in the actual treetops (the walkways are about one quarter of the way up some fair sized trees--200', maybe more), and we noticed that most of the trees have been topped (probably to reduce liability), but the engineering and construction is very cool. To be honest, I prefer the view from the bridge. Looking over, you can see all manner of native trees from directly above, which is pretty unusual view. It's certainly worth the $10 or so they charge for a BC resident.

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

HI a neat day trip to take a picnic lunch on is out to Rhodo national park aprox 18 min west of Hope on the Princeton hwy. On the way out stop by sumallo grove and check out the cedars mainly old growth and take a gang withyou because it takes about 6 people my size (over 6 foot tall to give them a good hug) The Scagit (sp) river runs through the park and there are some nice trails to see .

Note of caution if the Salmon are running be Bear Aware.

Both the Rhodo Park and Sumalo grove are on the right hand side after the Hope slide (another neat thing to see)

regards Doug

4. jimmyq

Hi Douglas, yes its a Betula p. (Adera and just south of 41st) . As for the tree walk, I can't wait to get up there, it sounds like a blast! I can go up a tree without having to wear my saddle and helmet! of course, I will have to leave the Silky saw in the truck I would assume. Do you know who was involved in the construction of the tree walk? Was Julian D. on the team? I heard he was doing some resistograph work for a similiar project...

5. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Hey Tree Huggers

I have been told that if you ever see a Ginkgo dropping it's leaves, all at once, to go hug the tree and you will feel an electrifying vibration. I have not yet had this opportunity. If any of you do this, please report back as to the truth of this old Chinese tale.

6. jimmyq

I will keep my eyes open in the fall and let you know!

7. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Attached Files:

• tree.jpg
      tree.jpg
      File size:
      105.9 KB
      Views:
  8. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

ginkgo vibes

Very interesting about the ginkgo theory.... when I took this photo (which only serves to demonstrate my lack of photo-journalistic skills) I was attempting to photograph the remarkable number of squirells that were cavorting in this ginkgo while it was shedding its leaves. There were literally dozens of them in and around the tree, behaving in a way that I can only compare to cats on catnip. Some were even pushing themselves around on their backs among the fallen leaves. Their excitement was a very palpable thing. I will be keeping a close eye on (and my arms around) this tree come fall!

Attached Files:

9. jimmyq

Douglas, I made it out to the tree walk... $10 to get in? more like $20 but worth it completely. I had a great time.

Attached Files: