How to remove unwanted Morning Glory

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rkwalton, Apr 6, 2004.

1. camarolady1960

camarolady1960 New Member

Can you sent me some seeds with instructions? I am infested with mg. The house we currently live in sat empty for a number of years and mg is rampant.i prefer to use natural methods and it sounds like youmay have a good solution. Also how long does the nicotania plant take to mature? i will send you my mailing address in a private message. ThaNks

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. carlisa7

carlisa7 Member

It also kills BEES. I would not use this method to control insects. See this recently released Harvard study about colony collapse disorder. Neonicotinoids are chemically related to biological nicotinoids.

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

yes, it is extreme and can kill bees yet if used correctly and put at the root base rather than used as a blanket aerosol spray you will not harm any bees. i have been taking a bee keepers class and many of the teachers also use this method for ant and weed killer. yet i have found that 1) a small controlled fire in area over the morning glory can also kill the roots. sometimes takes 2 apps 2) yellow corn meal will kill ants and not harm children or pets. the ants carry it back to their nests and feed it to their young ,when eaten by ants it expands and kills them. 2 alternatives to using N.R.
    peace and happy gardening to all!

4. iWife

iWife New Member

Cagreene, thank you for all of your information about Nicotiana Rustica - I am looking forward to removing my morning glory and blackberries with it. The Morning Glory keeps trying to kill my butterfly bush and that's not allowed. I live in a suburb of Los Angleles, so the consistent days of sunshine shouldn't be a problem... well of course except for today (overcast). Thank you very much I am looking forward to getting rid of this pest. I do love the flower of the MG plant but it's just taken over and I can't allow that in the garden.

5. Witchwindy

Witchwindy New Member

About the Nicotiana rustica use, be aware that neonicotinoids are the major ingredient of glyphosate (Roundup) which is now considered a highly likely culprit in the loss of honey bees. Do be very careful in the use of this substance for weed control, use VERY sparingly and only on the plant you want to eradicate, protect nearby plants from overspray or contamination of the soil. I have perennial MG (not bindweed) in my yard, it started showing up in my south flowerbed next to the foundation of my house, the roots apparently were in the topsoil brought in to level the land under the slab (the other nasty weed in that topsoil that I am trying to eradicate is horsetail). I have been digging that bed up about 2' deep every spring to remove the roots, but of course one can never get them all. I read that using scissors to snip the growing vine off at ground level whenever you see it will eventually (just how long eventually is, is a good question) kill the root (for MG but apparently not for horsetail). Which is how I plan to deal with it next spring rather than digging that bed up yet again (in my 70s digging up a bed that is three feet deep by 30 feet long is really hard on my body). I have also heard that vinegar works, you have to spray it on all the leaves, but it might also kill nearby plants if it gets on them or in the soil, I cannot attest to the truth of that claim, having not attempted it myself.

6. Witchwindy

Witchwindy New Member

PS re: perennial MG as opposed to bindweed, the flowers are huge and white, I also have the annual version with purple flowers but that is more easily taken care of with just digging out the plant or removing the flowers before they set seed.

7. Ashley Hill

Ashley Hill New Member

Burn it out - thermal weed control comes in different forms you can as said burn with open flame but this is dangerous and due to rapid heat loss will do little to the root. Radiant heat, boiling water and steam all have a similar issue where by the moment you take it of the target plant the heat instantly reduces. The best method to "burn out" a plant is with hot foam Weedingtech | Innovative herbicide-free weed control
    4 treatments a year will manage most areas of horsetail

8. Jane Cherry

Jane Cherry New Member

This is my first post here, just signed up to reply to this thread that is very old. Amazon has these seeds, and you can order them from there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2017