How to Prune Young Cotoneaster Hedge

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by LHewitt, May 21, 2011.

1. LHewitt

LHewitt Member

I have a hedge of 14 young cotoneaster plants that I just planted late last summer and they're doing well this spring but the plants are not very uniform. Some are 24" tall with 2-4 main branches, others are as little as 14" with only one small main branch. Should I leave them alone for a year or two to become established before doing any major pruning/shaping or should I do it now so they all start off as a similar size with one main branch? I read somewhere about pruning a young hedge right back in their first year to about 2" but want to make sure that's the right thing to do before I do anything major. Any advice?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

I have one at a new strata complex that I let go kind of wild. I guess it's a hundred feet long.
    I kept its tallest pieces in check at two feet tall until the other plants caught up and
    filled in the area between.

In the second year I took the hedge saw to it and it looks thick and uniform.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

If you don't need to shear the hedge, and want it like 2 to 4 meters tall, it could just be thinned with pruning cuts.

What kind do you have?

How big of a hedge do you want?