How to keep your dog from "gardening"

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by useridchallenged, Aug 28, 2009.

1. useridchallenged

useridchallenged Member

We have about a 1-acre garden... and a 1.5-year old 75-lb Labrador that likes to "garden" (dig and play tug of war with mature woody plants - Daphne and Wisteria are his favorites - and OUR favorites, too). He also likes potted plants up to 5 gallons. We love our dog, so he's staying. But his gardening escapades need to be curtailed. And we can't always be watching our energetic pup every second.

To make things more complicated, he LIKES to play with wasps and doesn't mind getting stung. So the electric collar and wireless fence ideas are meaningless to the dog.

It's a large-ish space, so we need a cost-effective solution. We've been thinking about some electric fences - not particularly attractive, though.

Any and all ideas that spare the dog's life with us would be greatly appreciated.

2. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Discipline and bribery.

3. useridchallenged

useridchallenged Member

Catching the dog (Quinn) in the act is a challenge. When we are in the yard, he wants to hang out with us and play. When not, he might be up to no good. I've watched him for long periods of time out the windows, but never am "lucky" enough to observe him gardening.

Any particularly disciplinary techniques? Labs are food driven, so the bribery part is easy.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps it is possible to find a substitute for the plants he likes to tussle with, of a rope-like nature. No way is he gonna lose his desire to tug and dig, but it might be transferred to another object.

Maybe a doggie play area, where it's OK for him to dig and/or tussle.

Seems like a physical boundary---i.e., wall---is the only answer that does not involve tethering him, muzzling him, or sending him to obedience school. Either wall around the garden, or wall around doggie play area.

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re electric. Use the white horse tape on a battery strung on fiberglass or plastic rods. (make good garden stakes down the road). Should be enough to give him a bite to keep him off. I use electric fencing on my paddocks to keep my Livestock dogs (Maremma and Pyrenean) in. They learn very quickly fences bite and the good thing is it is not associated with you when the hand from above gives him a reminder. Once he is grown enough and out of his silly stage then just dismantle. Just make sure it is earthed properly

Liz

6. JanR

JanR Active Member

You need to give your dog somewhere he is allowed to dig. Sand pits work well. You can hide toys and treats in it to encourage him to dig there. Bored dogs tend to destructive, especially when they are young adolescents like your lab. More exercise would help. There is a lot of truth in the phrase " A tired dog is a good dog."

7. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Teach him what "No!" means, and then reward him when he does as he's told. Obviously this means catching him at it, which may be hard.
    A bored dog is a destructive dog. He doesn't know he's being naughty unless you tell him so. He doesn't see it as destructive, just as something to do.