How To imPlant Different colors or types of flowers in a single plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by MaliSartaaz, Mar 13, 2010.

1. MaliSartaaz

MaliSartaaz Member

In school days, we have studied some techniques to cut the stem of a plant and properly implant any other plant stem. The cut should be in V shape and reverse order in both the stems. The new stem should be tied with some mud and left for internal activities like tissue culture.

Now i don't remember this details and i don't know that how far the above facts are true. I have a red rose plant. I want to make the red rose plant bloom yellow and white roses as well.

Can any experience gardener, give me details how to do that. If possible plz give links of videos of such activities.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

If you do try grafting, its easy and fun to do, remember that the plants conduit is through that thin green layer just under the bark, not the wood. Make sure that you line up these layers so that they are touching. Keep it sealed from drying out with wax, or anything waterproof and don't let it move for weeks. You can tie it with string or tape but, make the green layers meet and then keep it secure. You will eventually have to remove the string or tape to keep from restricting the plants expansion. Bud grafting also works well with roses and there are videos on-line to show the details.

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
  5. MaliSartaaz

MaliSartaaz Member

Thanks everybody for the help.

6. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Agree, MaliSartazz too bad a Google search didn't bring up much for videos.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i had taken a class here on salt spring a few years back. we didnt work on flowers, so much as fruiting trees for balcony's or people with limited space. the teacher had a small bonsai tree of about 3 feet tall that had 4 kinds of apples, cherries and pears grafted to the parent tree. she said that not all fruit trees could be used for the parent, but through trial and error she had this 15 year old fruiting bonsai.
    recently i have had my fruit trees pruned without my knowledge and destroyed. this would have been my first year to have fruit on my grafted apple tree now i must start again... some trees that i had braided and tied had grown into one trunk over 10 years or so, giving the impression of being grafted together. i imagine this technique would also work with clippings from young rose shoots, that have yet to become a hardwood.