How much longer in the pot?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by carleyn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. carleyn

carleyn Member

I've been growing Monkeys for about 8 yrs, from seed! It's just fun. I collect from a tree in town and plant in the fall. I planted 200 Spring 2011 and have sold quite a few.

I have 3 that have been in plastic pots about 7 yrs and are healthy. They are 3' 6' & 4' tall at the base of the tree. Our place is for sale and if we sell, I will need to get rid of trees! I was curious what to charge for these bigger potted trees and can't find any reference online.

No nursery in town has trees this big. I don't want to overcharge, but don't want to give them away either. They're my first trees!

I've just joined so hope this is in the right spot?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tricky. Although you might think that being large and old might make them more valuable, the opposite is the case, as older pot-bound specimens don't make good trees in the long term. The problem is that the roots circle round and round at the bottom of the pots; when the trees are planted out, that coil remains and can be a weak point (like a hinge) in the future, making the tree very vulnerable to windblow.