How early do you have to order new grafts?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dawgie, Apr 22, 2018.

1. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

I’m looking to replace some Japanese maples that have died over the years, and I’m having trouble finding available sources for newly grafted plants. I guess that I waited too long to start looking, but we’ve had a very cool, wet spring here, which delayed my gardening. I like to start JMs from new grafts and grow them in containers as long as possible, preferably dwarf varieties. In particular, I’ve been looking for a small Baby Lace but can’t seem to find a small one still available. For future reference, when I should I be planning to order newly grafted maples before they start selling out?

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Ebay has a good selection of small grafts. But I would recommend Topiary Gardens in NY, Mr. Maple in NC or Whitman Farms. All have great selection.
    I’ve ordered in spring, summer and fall. As far as baby lace, every one I’ve owned has died after five years. Some say it has to be grafted every few years just to keep stock.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Mr. Maple is certainly not to far from you. I guess the issue for a particular cultivar is, has your source grafted it this year? Most producers follow some sort of rotation, because there are so many cultivars that it's simply not possible to graft everything every year. Without prior knowledge of what producer X is doing on any given year, this (April) is probably a pretty good time to order small grafts. But I would also recommend contacting whoever you choose to work with, if you're looking for a particular cultivar they may be willing to move it up in the rotation for you.

4. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

I’ve since heard from a couple of sources that Baby Lace apparently is not dependable, so I decided against getting one. Instead I ordered a Chantilly Lace from a nearby grower (Herters).