How do I winterize or prepare Avocado tree for winter?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by BLewis, Sep 29, 2016.

1. BLewis

BLewis New Member

I have an avocado tree in a 15 gallon pot, the tree is about 8 feet high. It's too big to bring inside during winter. I live in a townhouse in Yaletown close to False Creek. Anyone have any good ideas on how to ensure it does not die during the winter? I have a similar sized Fig tree next to it in a different pot, and have been told this will survive during Vancouver winters, but I'm not sure about Avocado.

Any helpful tips are appreciated!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No chance of its surviving outdoors at all. Only things you could do are either prune it to a size small enough to bring inside, get a large greenhouse, or rebuild the house with a higher ceiling (!).

Figs are much hardier, that'll be OK.

3. BLewis

BLewis New Member

Thanks. I trimmed it and brought it inside after all. Much appreciated

Attached Files:

4. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Sure, Figs are really cold-hardy compared to Avocado....you have to put your Avocado inside....but remember, during winter not too much water (roots are sensitive) and try to avoid too dry environment (don't put it near to any heat generator, and nebulize water over the leaves).

5. BLewis

BLewis New Member

Thank you. I trimmed the top from 9 feet to 8.5 feet to fit it inside. Is there any other type of pruning I should do to encourage fruit? The tree is 6 years old.