How close to appreciate the fragrance?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by madhatter, May 8, 2008.

1. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

I just purchased the Compassion rose and before that a Westerland. I am interested in smelling these roses while in my yard. How close from the seating are should fragrant roses be planted so that one can enjoy the smell readily?
    Thanks in advance

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Like them growing right alongside the outhouse walls and extending over the roof. Seriously though, expect the scent would be most noticeable if planted on the westerly side of the seating area if you get the westerly summer breezes there. Not very familiar with the roses mentioned, but a daphne here about 15' {5 m.} away from the house has an overpowering smell in the evening sometimes, too much. And then different people have varied senses of smell .

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's going to depend, as Chimera said, on the prevalent breeze in your yard. Best to plant them upwind from your patio if you want the fragrance to just sort of waft over you.

Of course, I've always been a big fan of just sticking my nose right in the flower and snorfling. After checking for bees.

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

There are too many factors that determine rose fragrances to be able to give specific advice. I have Evelyn growing in three different locations in my garden - they are all different in the strength and distance of the fragrance, depending on where it is grown.