Host and Hosting

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by C.Wick, May 6, 2009.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

These photos are of slime moulds and some of their hosts.
    The mushrooms are Pleurotus dryinus (Veiled Oyster)...an edible mushroom that grows on living and dead Oaks and other deciduous trees. It's still a bit early for this group to arrive but it seems here in the Mid-West we're getting a LOT of growing things early.
    On the 2 image with the yellow? The poor fellow has attracted a slime mould. I believe it's the Many-headed Slime (Physarum polycephalum) as I've seen this kind take over at least 2 other species of fungi including a relative to this variety of mushroom called Oysters (Pleurotus ostreatus).
    The other image with the yellow slime on the pored fungi is an unknown host...but same slime mould.
    A funny story with this slime mould? If anyone is familiar with the movie 'The Blob'....it originated from this kind of slime mould. Years ago in Texas, a large blob of this stuff freaked locals out who thought it came from outer space. They brought hoses to 'wash it away' and it EXPLODED! Since people weren't at all familiar with slime moulds...they didn't realize this kind was actually sporing thanx to the added water. :o)
    ><><><><
    Other updated images that I just added include the Coral Slime (Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa) which is the beautiful white filiament looking slime. Found growing on an old rotted tree along with the next photo of the Chocolate Tube Slime (Stemonitis splendons). Also with those two was 1 example of Wolf's Milk Slime (Lycogala epidendrum) and although the photos I got of those didn't come out great you can still see the 3 living happily together on their host.
    ><><><><
    I'm unfamiliar with the bright orange dotted slime? But I'm finding it on Jack-N-the-Pulpit plants, on leaves of May Apples, Wood Anemones, and on other unknown blooms and leaves as well. Ants don't seem to mind though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. hstiver

hstiver Member

Very interesting and great photos.

Although perhaps the slime mould is an alien intent on the conquest of earth!

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

From some of the stories I've read about the studies done on them? That idea may not be all that far from the truth! lol
    Thanx!