horse chestnut blight

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by martinontario, Sep 3, 2012.

1. martinontario

martinontario Member

Hi
    I am new to this forum and perhaps posting this here is not appropriate but I tried a new thread in the "diseases" subforum and got rejected.
    Anyhow, I have an old magnificent chestnut in front of my house (and other younger versions). Ever since I've owned this property (20 yrs) the leaves start turning brown in early August and by September it has lost all its leaves. I have noticed the same thing in similar trees in Europe, but it seems the ones around the downtown Toronto area are not affected by this. I am told by local arborists that it is a "blight" and it has no cure.
    Is this so? What is the infectious agent?
    The noble tree keeps producing fragrant flower clusters and makes plenty of fruit every year (to the delight of the squirrels) but I fear it someday will be taken by this condition.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you add some photos?

In Europe, early leaf fall in Horse-chestnuts is usually due to leaf damage by the leaf-miner Cameraria ohridella, but that does not occur in North America.

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

4. martinontario

martinontario Member

Sure, I will take some tomorrow and send

5. martinontario

martinontario Member

Interesting. A triple whammy. I have looked on the leaves but saw no bugs. I wonder how small they are. Yes, this is somewhat my experience (worse in dry years) and the leaves do look like mine. I will post some pics tomorrow (if I come home early enough)
    Thank you!

6. martinontario

martinontario Member

OK. I brought a leaf indoors and took these pics. Is it "blotch"?

Attached Files: