Horrible hoya problem!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by hoyagal, Dec 28, 2009.

1. hoyagal

hoyagal Member

Last spring, I purchased a well- developed hoya from a "big box store". My routine is to drench this plant in the kitchen sink and drain it before returning it to the decorative ceramic pot. Upon re-watering, I've noticed "insects" crawling in the water drained in the cermic pot. Some insects are crawling , others have drowned. These are very narrow , ~ one inch in length and appear to have a gray, tranparent skin with many sets of feet. Have I been invaded? Appreciatively,
    Hoyagal

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like fungus gnats or something similar. The easiest way to be rid of them is to repot into completely fresh soil and a completely fresh pot. Additionally, make sure that the soil you repot into has very good drainage - given your watering routine, this will be important to keep the plant from drowning and the gnats from thinking that the soil is a good place to breed.

3. hoyagal

hoyagal Member

Thank you for your prompt reply.Will do immediately!
    Hoyagal.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Its length and the "many sets of feet" suggests centipedes or millipedes. The transparent ones are likely shed casings.

5. hoyagal

hoyagal Member

Thank you, I hesitated to use that word, but that's exactly what I thought! I want to salvage this plant so will be taking the above advice and transplant this evening.
    Hoyagal.