Hornworm

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by rillcreek, Jul 25, 2004.

1. rillcreek

rillcreek Member

Hello, new here, with a question about Hornworms...or one in particular. I've looked at sites and can't quite come up with which exact Hornworm this is. Looks most like a Tobacco Hornworm, but still not exactly like the pictures I've seen. I'm just wondering what kind of moth it is going to turn into :)

Attached Files:

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Your hornworm is very beautiful indeed. However, like you, we can't seem to find a worm with similar markings. It has some similarities to the Pyramidal Fruitworm in some ways and also the tomato/Tobacco Hornworm. I guess the best way to determine what the adult will look like is to examine it closely and measure it. The tomato hornworm has a black horn projecting from its rear, the tobacco hornworm has a redish one, and both these caterpillars can grow as long as 3 to 4 inches, whereas the fruitworm is much smaller (3/4 inch) and has a characteristic bright green colour with a hump near its head.
    Good luck, and let us know what the adult moth reveals.