holes in garden

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by eagles07, Oct 8, 2009.

1. eagles07

eagles07 Member

I am in raleigh, nc and this year my barberry plants are looking almost dead. I am also finding small holes throughout my garden. What do I do?

2. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

If the holes are around 1-3 inches then the holes might be slugs just digging around. I have some out in my yard during the summer but it dosint seem to harm any plants though.

3. eagles07

eagles07 Member

thanks for your reply. I don't think it is a slug problem. I'm thinking it is more of a mole or vole issue. Now I have to find out what to do about it. thanks again

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I read years ago that moles hate the scent of juicy fruit gum, so people would unwrap a slice or a bit of one and tuck it into any visible mole run.

Moth balls tucked in the holes would work, too, but not a good idea if your dog likes to dig.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

That large, could be rats.

6. eagles07

eagles07 Member

I recently checked with the NC State website and they think it could be a problem with voles which are very common down here. Since my shrubs are being eaten moles have been ruled out. Thanks