Hieracium with a fur coat but which species?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Sep 29, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

I came across this strange looking plant growing on a rock face and in perpetual shade. I now know that it is a species of Hieracium, an extremely difficult family with some 6000 species worldwide.
    Can a member recognise this Hieracium and the sp. name?

Attached Files:

2. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hieracium continued:

Attached Files:

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hieracium continued because this is a difficult one!

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The ones I am finding on Italian web pages with hairs like that are Hieracium villosum, but absent keying it out in a local flora...I don't know what the other options are.

5. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi Daniel, I considered the species villosum, unfortunately it doesn't grow in my region which is Campania. There are a few more but the description in Sandro Pignatti 3 vol. Flora d'Italia doesn't match. However, there is every possibility that it is now growing in in my region. It is to be found in surrounding regions, but considering that the Flora d'Italia volumes were written many years ago, there is every possibility that it has migrated to Campania. I will have to check www.Acta Plantarum.com, or www. Flora Italiana.com. Thanks Daniel