Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by mrsdeere, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mrsdeere

mrsdeere Member

I bought a hibiscus with peach colored flowers and a braided trunk at Home Depot last fall and have been nursing it all winter. Last fall only a couple of the flowers opened and then fell off the next day, the rest of the buds fell off before opening. I'm not sure what type of hibiscus this is or if in fact it should be indoors. I gave it a bath with soapy water and re-potted it (read somewhere this was the thing to do to keep the buds from falling off.) Throughout the winter I have managed to keep it alive but some of the leaves have small bumps on the underside and look as if they are being chewed. Have checked over the entire thing for bugs and found none. It has buds again and one fell off the other day. Do I need to fertalize, if so, with what and where can I purchase it? I have it in a southwest window with other plants and they get wonderful sunlight. At first I had it in indirect light with the morning sun. Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks, Adrienne

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Chinese hibiscus. Not the easiest plant to grow under ordinary indoor conditions but some do manage to get them to settle down. For instance, the municipal library here, in its former location used to have a pretty big one that lived and bloomed right in the middle of the building, at the farthest possible point from any window. This structure did, however, have lots of windows.

In general these like bright light, warmth and high humidity. The more like a warm greenhouse you can make its situation the better result you are likely to have.

3. mrsdeere

mrsdeere Member

As the weather gets warmer here I am hoping she will like it where I have her as my other plants do. Have you had any luck with a special fertalizer? Or any information as to why the leaves appear to be chewed on and the bud fell off before it had a chance to open?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Buds falling off could be wrong temperatures or soil moisture situation, gardenias also throw tantrums when attempted as house plants. (Another commonly tried flowering house plant that really wants to be in a bright and humid greenhouse instead). If not too dark then maybe too cool. If you just moved it from the different exposure recently buds and other parts might drop just from the change in situation, especially if it was growing in the darker areas for some time and is now getting blasted with much brighter light. Bumps should be significant, those aren't supposed to be there - you say no bugs but you have bumps. If you can't put up pictures take samples of affected parts to local trusted independent garden center (not a big box plant department) or Kansas Cooperative Extension office if possible.

Speaking of flowering house plants as a general rule, regardless of kind these require much more light than can be gotten by on with foliage house plants. Even African violets are pretty demanding, mine seldom flower here for me as I do not have them almost clapped up against bright lights - where they would be crowned with flowers most of the time. (I do get regular bloom from Zygocacti, which seem to require almost no care in general).

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

The major problem with trying to grow hibiscus is 'bud drop'. (Occurs frequently in Gardenias, also). Litteraly, more water, less water, more fertilizer,or, less fertilizer are called for to reduce or eliminate bud drop. In fertilizing, too much nitrogen can excaserbate the problem. More sunlight can reduce the problem. Regular watering and fertilizing can also reduce the problem. Certain seasons can also increase bud drop. Bud drop is one of those "aw shucks" kind of things that you cheer about if YOUR hibiscus doesn't have much of it (right now).

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

On the fertilizer front, I swear by a fish fertilizer that is available in most garden centers; I grow something like 20 varieties of hibiscus and they all love it, since it's fairly gentle and well balanced.

7. mrsdeere

mrsdeere Member

Here are some photos of my peach colored hibiscus. Hope you can help identify my issues on the buds falling off and the leaves that seem to be munched on. The middle part of the tree has died (one part of the braid). I will check into the fish fertilizer this week. Any more tips are greatly appreciated. These photos were taken approximately 4:00 pm sorry if the lighting is not the best for photos.

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      155.1 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg