Hibiscus that is non- flowering w/ red leaves?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by ruthee16, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ruthee16

ruthee16 Member

Someone gage my local library some cuttings that are red and they are from a non-flowwering hibiscus. Can someone tell me the name of this plant? It looks like a japanese hibiscus tree except it is red to pink in color on the stems and leaves.

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

hibiscus moschatus?

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

4. ruthee16

ruthee16 Member

Coudn't find the one on there, but have asked them about it. Thanks for the tip!

5. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

red shield hibiscus comes to mind but it flowers also called false roselle there is a green form that is also called false roselle

6. Eagleport

Eagleport Member

I would like to know the name of this plant also, I bought 2 of them and they were a wrong order thing with the store and they had no tags to tell me what they were,They were about 2ft. tall when I got them and planted them in my garden and in a few weeks they were 5ft and so bushey I had to cut them back, I took the cuttings skinned the bottom a little and put some root grow on them now I have them coming out my ears. They grow very fast and root fast. The busy I Trimmed 2 weeks ago is now the same size again. the TRUNKs is really big, Never seen any thing like it. But if some one comes up with a name and how to care for them I would love to hear from you. Thanks Eagleport

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Likely the only positive way would be send a photo to the American Hibiscus Society. They are often very good at helping out.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Take a look at the plant Mikey suggested, Hibiscus acetosella 'Red Shield'. It does bloom, but not as profusely as other hibiscus and only in very warm, favourable conditions, so is grown as a foliage ornamental in many areas.