hibiscus seeds

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Linsoo, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Linsoo

Linsoo Member

I have grown Hibiscusfor years. This year when I brought my plants in from the garden I noticed what I thought was a deformed flower! My husband said it was a seed pod but I had never seen anything like it on my Hibiscus. Anyway we took it off and cut it open and Wow all these white seeds were inside! We have put them in an evelope to store but are wondering if they will be any good as we obviously took them off to soon.
    Any ideas?

2. john murtaugh

john murtaugh Member

It seems likely that the seeds will not be viable if you opened the pod before it had a chance to ripen.

Mature hibiscus seeds are usually light to dark brown and quite hard.

If your plants are flowering now, you could try and produce some seeds by transfering the pollen from one plant flower to another and leave the pod to mature. Once the pod starts to dry and just begins to open, you can detach it and save the seeds. It will be easier to monitor the seed pod inside the house and the squirels won't eat the pods as they seem to do in my backyard.

I have left the pods on for too long and lost the seeds when the pod fully opened and dropped the seeds.

Once, one of the seeds fell into another plant pot and grew several leaves before I saw it and transplanted it into its own pot.

Better luck next time with the seeds

3. Linsoo

Linsoo Member

Thanks John, I thought that was the case. Our plants are flowering like crazy so we have tried to pollinate and we'll see what happens. Great hobby isn't it?

Linsoo

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

this is an old thread but next time i would still try to plant the seeds usually they are not viable until they turn brown or almost black but some plants are very stuburn and will grow anyways i would not bank on it but what do you have to loose by trying.