Hibiscus Rose of Sharon Blue Satin

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Deborah McCormick, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Deborah McCormick

Deborah McCormick Active Member 10 Years

Hi there: Wondered if anyone could help me. I am in zone 5a I believe (Campbellford, Ontario). I have approx. 35 Hibiscus seeds Blue Satin. I have a area set up in my home for seedlings bottom heat, light. I wondered if I could start these seeds during the winter indoors in my growing area. Should I stratify them for 6 weeks?? I only have 35 seeds so I want to do this right. Should I throw some in a pot with soil and place outdoors or try both inside and out?
    I appreciate the responses. Thank you in advance

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Blue Satin is a selling name for a vegetatively propagated cultivar. If you efforts are successful you will have Hibiscus syriacus seedlings, but none of them will be entitled to be associated with the name Blue Satin.

3. Deborah McCormick

Deborah McCormick Active Member 10 Years

Hi Ron: Thanks so much for the reply. When I purchased the seeds from ebay I was told Blue Satin Hibiscus. Where you suggesting that these seeds will not be true from mother plant? Please excuse my ignorance. Could you give me some direction as to starting indoors from seed?. I have a room set up for seedlings heat mats and lighting. I am located zone 5b I believe. I only have 35 seeds so need to know what I am doing?
    Once again thank you
    Regards,
    Deb

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You may or may not get similarly colored seedlings. None will be the same clone, that is a certainty.