Hibiscus in mourning

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by suan44, Jan 6, 2007.

1. suan44

suan44 Member

My hibiscus tree is about 3 years old and has not flowered. I inherited the plant when my mother died and it appeared that the tree was in mourning. When I brought it home 2 years ago the leaves fell off and the new growth was very poor. The new leaves were tiny (about 1/2 inch) and they dried up and fell off. This continued for about a year. Now the leaves are healthy and bright (2-3 inches long) but I still don't have any flowers.

When we purchased the tree (from Holes GreenHouse) we were told that it did not need to be replanted for several years. The tree is about 5 feet tall and it's in a 12inch pot).

The tree gets as much sun as possible, and it's watered regularly. I even give it periodic showers to keep the leaves clean and happy.

What can I do to make it bloom?

2. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Hello suan44, Sounds like your hibiscus tree is comeing along nicely. My hibie tree, did the same thing for a good year! [not flower] It started producing flowers, when i stuck it in the basement under grow lights. Oh and when they are blooming, they really thrive when you feed them. Everytime you water, you could use a weak solution of say, 20-20-20 fertilizer. [the florescent light does'nt have to be exspensive either] You could use one warm white, and one cool. Wish you success with your tree!
    sincerly Fiona

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  3. James D.

James D. Active Member

To really help your hibicsus put it outside for the summer, give it the most light you can, lots of water and fertilizer. I would lift it out of its pot to look at the roots, the can stay in the same pot, but don't mind being re-potted. If it is very root bound just take something and scrap the roots all over and take asbout 1/2 inch of each side then re-plant in same pot with some new soil, this will encourage new growth and flowers along with lots of sun,water and fertilizer. I wouldn't use 20-20-20 in the winter it is an incomplete source of nitrogen, try finding a fertilizer that doesn't need to go through the nitrogen cycle, just make sure the nitrogen source is not from ammonia, this can only be made available to the plant in the summer during active growth and warm weather. Also use a fertilizer that has a higher middle number this will help to encourage blooms, i suggest switching fertilizers weekly. also hibiscus love being pruned and will put out a fluch of new growth and flowers after a god spring pruning right before they are put outside. when putting it outside in the summer make the transition slow as not to sunburn the plant. hope this info helps.

4. suan44

suan44 Member

thank you, I'll wait for summer and try your suggestions.