Hibiscus Flower

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by jncobrien, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jncobrien

jncobrien Member

Will my hibiscus Flowers recover from a couple weeks worth of below freezing temps? Every leaf on the plants have been burned and are dead!

2. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

Probably not, but I would wait and when it warms up a little scrape the bark and if you see green its still alive, if not, its dead. Janet

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

If your Hibiscus is the shrub type with big showy flowers, it's essentially a tropical plant. Depending on the duration and maximum low temperatures during your freeze, the leaves may only have been killed. I would be more prepared though to have lost all the branches with the possibility that it may resprout from the base. If it was grown in a pot, there is a very good chance even the roots died.

Simon

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(I should note that I moved this question to this forum since I didn't know what type of Hibiscus it was and therefore whether this should be in the Woody Plants or Perennials forums)

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Three commonly sold ones are

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, an evergreen tropical shrub killed by frost

Hibiscus moscheutos, a hardy perennial dying to the ground in winter and growing back from the roots each summer

Hibiscus syriacus, a hardy deciduous shrub shedding all its leaves each fall