Hibiscus blossom wilting

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Rosaliecory, May 30, 2008.

1. Rosaliecory

Rosaliecory Member

We have a fairly new hibiscus plant which I believe is a tropical hibiscus variety. It's doing well except many times the blossoms wilt before they even open up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Rosalie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try surfing "hibiscus care". Indeed tropical if temperatures or other condition aren't right these can have problems.

3. Rosaliecory

Rosaliecory Member

Hi Ron,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have surfed hibiscus care and of course there's thousands of sources to read from but from what I have read so far, I can't find anything close to "flower bud wilting and dropping off". Once source mentioned bud wilting in temperature of 95% or over and, although we live in Kansas and it's already hot, our house never gets over 80 or so. I've tried over watering, under watering and just right watering. The buds stay on when I underwater but the leaves droop badly. I don't have a clue. Thanks for anymore suggestions you might have.
    Rosalie

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bud drop is very common on hibiscus. It results from so many things. They like consistent moisture and humidity. They like rich soil, but can also easily be overfertilized (especially watch the phosphorus--"bloom food" will have too much phosphorus for this plant.)

I wonder if the air may be too dry there in Kansas.

This is a good site for info on tropical hibiscus:
    http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/

5. Rosaliecory

Rosaliecory Member

Hi Eric,
    Thanks so much for your response. I think you're right about the air here in Kansas. The humidity is only over 35% or so when it's raining. Good for arthritis but bad on tropical plants. We also have a tropical elkhorn fern we got from a garden show and wichita and it also seems to be needing more moisture even though we mist it everyday. I think we'll try misting the hibiscus twice a day and keep the soil rich and balanced the way you described it. Thanks for your help.
    Rosalie

6. sathya

sathya Member

hello rosalie

i too have a hibiscus a rare orange red variety thick whorled that has blossoms falling off sometimes. i noticed that it happens when i water it heavily. when you find buds just about to blossom stop watering and wow...they bloom...so well
    wonder if i have been of help
    sathya

7. Rosaliecory

Rosaliecory Member

Hi Sathya,
    Thanks for the tip. It makes sense. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. I'm also curious how long in any season the tropical hibiscus blooms. Does it need to rest a while before I fertilize? Thanks so much for your time and your help.
    Rosalie