help

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Deion, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Deion

Deion Member

hi im fairly new ok really new at planting trees. i want to put an alaskan weeping cedar on the side of my house. however im told that a sewer line runs through the location i want the tree. it will be used to block the view of neighbors unsightly yard from my bedroom window. so my question is does the alaskan weeping cedar have a aggressive root system? if so is there anything that i can do, short of moving sewer system, to plant the tree there anyway? also if not does anybody have any other suggestions to block the neighbors house?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

More important is the quality of the sewer pipe. If it is a modern plastic pipe, no problem, roots won't be able to get into it. If it is an old jointed stoneware pipe or cracked in any way, almost anything will get its roots into it for a ready supply of water and nutrients.

Note there are no cedars in Alaska, the tree sometimes mis-called "alaskan cedar" is actually a cypress, Cupressus nootkatensis, more correctly called Nootka Cypress.