help with unhappy jm

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dulce, May 29, 2016.

1. Dulce

Dulce Member

Hi. I have some problems with one of my jm. Some leaves are dying and i have not idea if it is due to a disease or to much water or to much heat? I have not experience with jm. Do you think it is a disease that may spread over my other jm? What would you do? Should i prune the unhealthy branches? I know it is not the best time to cut its branches... or shoould i better look into a problem with its soil? I do not water often as it is placed in partial shade....

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Prune the black dying branch(es) back to healthy growth or back to the trunk if the whole branch is failing. Right now don't panic or really change anything with your watering schedule.

You can prune dead or diseased wood anytime.

Use 92% alcohol to sanitize your pruners. Do not prune a dying branch like this and then prune healthy growth or another maple as this is how diseases spread.

Otherwise your tree looks fine based on what is shown in the photos provided.

I recommend that you go with a pot that is wider at the base when it comes time to repot. As the tree gets larger it can easily blow over with a narrow base.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Dulce

Dulce Member

THANK you so much for your advise JT. I will prune the unhealthy branches and clean pruners after. Thanks as well for making me notice the pot wasnt ideal for my acer. Im thinking about changing my acers to the next pot size just before they come into leave next year. I also read it is a good time to do this just after the tree looses its leaves. When would you think it is the best time to do this? And what type of soil do you use? First time i did this i was advised to use john innes ericaseous compost.

I took a picture of my other trees to show you their size and their pot. Im always wondering if the pot is big enough.

thankyou again

dulce

Attached Files:

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

You're welcome, glad you found it useful. You have some nice trees! Thanks for sharing.
    In your region you can repot either time as you described.

****Someone in your region can recommend soil components that are available in your area. Climate and component availability play a big role in potting soil composition.***

I repot in very early Spring, before the buds break. The reason is my winters can be too severe to repot in the fall.

I use a combination that consists of the following:

Pine bark that is composed of small chips commonly sold as soil conditioner.

Pine bark fines that are the consistency of coffee grounds.

Sharp silica sand that is the consistency of coarse coffee grounds. This helps with root division as fine roots are the feeder roots that take up food and water and the more they divide the better.

A soil conditioner called haydite. It is also widely available as espoma soil perfector. (See link) It helps amend the soil providing good drainage, oxygen to the roots, and retains moisture and slowly releases it as the soil dries; helping the soil stay consistently moist longer. It also reduces compaction over time.
    Soil Perfector

A small amount of sedge peat which helps keep the soil moist longer, adds organic matter, but too much will cause the soil to stay too wet and will lead to root rot.

Squeeze test: Once mixed, the soil should be squeezed in your hand and if it slowly crumbles then you have the right consistency.

If it sticks together you have too much peat. Add more haydite and pine bark.

If it does not stick at all and just falls apart, then add more peat and pine fines.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  5. Dulce

Dulce Member

JT again, THANK YOU. The explanation was amazing. Thanks a lot for your time and sharing this with a beginner. I love these trees so much as it is always a joy to see their coulours and shapes...
    dulce

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Yes, I know the love you describe quite well. Again, I'm glad you found the information useful. Please let us know if you have anymore questions.

One other thing comes to mind about pots. Make sure they have a drain hole. Do not use a dish at the bottom of the pot that catches excessive water. Also don't get a pot that is wide on the sides. When its time to repot the root occupy the wide space along the sides and it makes things really hard to pull the tree out of the pot.

7. Dulce

Dulce Member

I have been reading old conversations in the forum. Plenty of things to learn! JT your jm collection is amazing...I found some pictures in flickr. Inspiring.. i hope one day i will be able to make that contrast of colours and shapes to form such a beatiful landscape. Im so happy i found this forum..before i was just dreaming about these threes and it is really really nice to be able to share some thoughts .

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you! I am glad you like our garden and the flickr photos!

I am glad you found this forum too. It's the best on the web in my opinion. The acer palmatum photo gallery is the best collection of photos and most of the time gives us first hand information for researching new varieties and how to grow them.

Its a great place for those of us who share the same passion for maples. Its also great that we get knowledge and experience from around the globe. Members come from all different backgrounds and most everyone is more than happy to share their experience and knowledge. Some have a lifetime of experience and its great that they share here where everyone can learn from them and that their experience will not be lost.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016