Help With Tangerine tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by wapple, May 5, 2005.

1. wapple

wapple Member

We have an old (50 years or so) zipper skinned tangerine tree in our yard. We want to germinate new trees from the seeds of the fruit. Can this work? What is the best approach? We would love to start more trees from this as the type of fruit it bears is impossible to find in stores/markets these days.

Thanks for any/all help

2. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

wapple..There is a few things you could do
    1) You could air layer some of the upper branchs

2) You could to t-bud on some root stock

3) You could try rooting some softwood cuttings ( Having a misting system would increase your success rate) by nearly 100%

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Tangerines (mandarins) can be grown from seed. All tangerines (mandarins) are true from seed except for King and Clementines. Note, however, it will take 7 to 10 years before you can expect any fruit production (longer if grown indoors). - Millet

4. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

Here is a Pdf file that was posted on another fourm by Dr Mannors of Flordida a citrus & rose lover, http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM268.pdf Being new to this site I support his findings

I also notice a lot of Grapefruit growers here, I think the people here have more very good guestions than the ones in the States

I noticed that it is not a Chat Fourm, You people ask as it is, an the answers are like wise . The it should be

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There does seem to be a fascination with grapefruit for some reason. I haven't noticed which part of the world the questions have come from.