Help with my cedar hedge

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Guillaume Francoeur, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Guillaume Francoeur

Guillaume Francoeur New Member

I have 12ft cedar that we planted 3 years ago and every fall part of the middle brown and makes it more bare every year

What would be the reason?

One part of the hedge is not as badly affected

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome to the forums.
    Maybe it could be due to a lack of water during the summer. A mulch ( fir and/or hemlock) kept a few inches away from the trunks may help conserve moisture.

3. Guillaume Francoeur

We did have sone mulch, soaker hoses as well ib there on timer for 2 times a day, ive fertilized it as well, i know the soil have alot of clay, could it be too much water staying there?

Or could of be a sign of acidity in the ground?

It really only happens in fall, i knew planting 12 ft cedar would be alot of stress for the trees, but now its the 3rd year in a row we got alot of browning, only on the hedge facing south, the one facing west seems to be doing great

Also thank you for your reply

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think acidity would be the problem, but I would be concerned about water pooling and being retained in a clay-lined trench (and either causing poor oxygen to the roots or fostering pathogens).

5. Guillaume Francoeur

Thank you I appreciate the answer, im hoping this will be better next year as the root system will be bigger.

I wonder what i could fo yo make the ground have better flow, add sand?

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If there's a clay pan where water is gathering, I think the only thing to be done is break the clay. But, other more experienced folks will have to chime in.