Help with my anthurium

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by kdsouza, Jan 10, 2010.

1. kdsouza

kdsouza Member

I have an anthurium that i have since about 1 years. Off late the leaves have started drooping and the plant has not flowered (flower was there when i got it). I water it about once a week make sure the water is at least half an inch. The anthurium sits on some sort of rock and the pot has no drainage.

I was wondering whether an anthurium enthusiast could help in getting the plant to look better.

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The plant appears to be a hybrid of Anthurium andreanum. In one photo it appears you have a spathe and spadix on the plant. There could be a number of causes so you might want to read this link for openers:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=59518

Although it is not uncommon for Anthurium plants to be sold attached to stone , especially in Hawaii, that method of growth can be difficult to maintain. I'd suggest you repot the plant in a mix of fast draining soil and keep it damp but not soggy. Since the roots are attached to the stone I would consider just leaving it attached and bury the stone in the soil mix. Don't use plain potting soil but instead amend it as outlined in the link below.

Anthurium species need bright but indirect light so keep it near a window. You can find the info you need in this article: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow or Growing Anthurium species.html

Best if you read most of the article since I try to explain all the "whys" but the soil mix is explained under a bold heading not far down from the top.

3. kdsouza

kdsouza Member

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ill try out what you said and let you know how it turns out