Help with dying aloe

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by CelestiHel, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CelestiHel

CelestiHel Member

I'm sure you get this all the time, but I have somehow managed to kill most of my aloe. It is old as the hills and used to be gargantuan, but is now reduced to just the tops of the stalks. The plant has completely dried up from its roots to the top layer of spines. It's a shame because I've had it for over 10 years and never had any problems. It even has a name and is considered a part of the family.

How do I save these spine? I've never had problems with succulents before, so never had to know how to repot/take cuttings. I want to take what's left and repot, but I have no idea how to do it. Any advice? I've tried to read about how to do it, but I just don't understand what I am being asked to do because I'm not a plant expert, just a lover, and I don't really know the lingo! If it's possible to explain in laymand terms, so much the better!

2. Linda Poon

Linda Poon Member

It is natural for the lower spines of your aloe to die back as new spines emerge. To re-pot, remove the dead spines and place in another pot. Placing your plant in a relatively small pot causes the plant to produce pups. When the pups reach 4-5 inches in height you can remove them from the mother plant and pot off as a new plant. However if the die back is very severe you may want to take leaf cuttings from your aloe. Simply cut a spine off 4 inches from the tip, dip it in rooting media (available at any nursery), and place into moist soil. You may want to cover your cuttings with a clear lid or place the entire pot of cuttings in a ziploc bag to ensure they don’t dry out. Leaf cuttings take longer than pups but you can take comfort in the fact that these baby plant will be genetically identical (clones) to your mother plant.

Good Luck,
    Linda