Help with Cold Frame for Raised Bed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by The Force, Jan 31, 2017.

1. The Force

The Force New Member

Hi everyone, new member here looking for some advice/help. I live in Kamloops, BC in zone 4 (bordering 5) and am looking to extend my growing season for backyard veggies (have a 3yr old and twins on the way so fresh healthy food is a priority).

I have a raised bed about 80' long (concrete garden blocks on the front side and heavy fir on the back side) which I am looking to add some cold frame covers too (about 20 lineal feet worth). The current plan is to build the back (north side) up 10-14" with wood and then have a hinged cover sloping down to the front (south) side.

1- What type of transparent material is best ? I have 6mil poly film on hand that I was going to use for a double layer (each side of a 1.5" frame). I could get Solexx or double walled polycarbonate panels if there is a significant benefit.

2- how much could I expect this to extend my growing season (mostly for cold hearty kale, chard, beets, carrots) and possible to help with hardening tomatoes and cucumbers.

3 - Is there a benefit in adding some concrete paving stones (painted black) as a thermal sink?

I don't have any experience with this type of 'assisted' gardening so looking for guidance. If I am only going to get an extra week or two it probably isn't worth the hassle. Please poke holes, give advice or point me to reputable references / other garden forums if available.
    Thanks.

Pic to give reference of the garden space

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Extending your season is not practical. You have a short season. It would be best to grow what you can and use methods of preserving for off season use. You can grow roots crops, and kale. Maybe cucumber if you start the plant indoors in May. Tomatoes maybe but your nights are generally cool, worth a try anyway. You generally have June, July and August with good Sun.

Get best soil possible, lots of compost if possible. Use wood chip mulch to retain growing moisture. Start small. There are many challenges for a beginner. It will take time to get a feel for what you can grow. I live in Zone 5 and grow most things also buy when in season. I am practically self sufficient for tw0 people.

I record everything I do. This might be most helpful. durgan.org | Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial processed food.