Help this newb figure out tree choice and placement

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by bluenote, Jun 25, 2015.

1. bluenote

bluenote New Member

Hi folks

I'm very limited in area and area that gets decent sunshine. I have one plum tree in a flowerbed (I replaced the original tree that was there) and it seems to be doing great.
    This tree I got from my father who loves to graft. My concern is clearance, but I want more trees!

Unfortunately the best sun is in the plant bed at the front which borders the sidewalk (concrete on both sides!) The next best is a slice of back yard right up at the fence.

The neighbours have concrete patio right up to the fence on their side. To get the most sun, I really have to stay as close as I can to that line. Am I going to run into problems with roots breaking up their concrete and me to blame?

In the front, I'm concerned about the same problem with the sidewalk (but then why is the neighbourhood city approved plan to have trees in every front bed). My plum unfortunately looks like it's not going to grow very tall but wants to be bushy and crowd the sidewalk. I've been tieing it up and training it up, and I'll deal with that as it comes, but now that I want to plant a few more fruit trees in the front and back I'm not sure if age or the type or quality of graft makes a difference in the height - it's fine to encroach over the sidewalk but not at shoulder level!

I guess I'm such an amateur I don't even know what I don't know, so any advice is really appreciated.

thanks