Help Please -How to properly gather seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by ulchi, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ulchi

ulchi Member

I have recently grown the Rhody species "R. Tomentosm". These seeds came from the Amur river region in southeastern Siberia. They grew fast and got their first flowers in 6 months. I read everything on the internet about growing Rhody's and I want to get the seeds to plant for next year. Can anyone help me with what part of the plant I should cut during the fall so that I can get the seeds? Do I just cut off the little seedlings or do I cut the entire stem back. No one seems to have any information about this particular Rhody and when I contact the Rhody Society here no one returns my email. Thank you!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wait until the seed pods turn brown and start to split open. Then pick each pod individually, dry it, and shake the seeds out as they open fully.

3. ulchi

ulchi Member

thanks Michael..that's what I did with the original material collected from Siberia but it was already dried. Now i have green growing plants so I want to make sure that I harvest at the right time and I will wait until they are dried and looking like they are about to fall off naturally. One last question....Should I store them in their pods until I replant next spring or should I break open the pods and store the seeds after I harvest...
    what do you think?
    Thank you!