Help! Newly Planted Dogwood dying!

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by spirittoo, Jun 5, 2008.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

I purchase a pink dogwood from Marc's ... I planted it on the holiday ... that Monday ... I followed instructions ... bought Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub mix ... made the hole 3 times the size of the pot ...used superthrive to prevent transplant shock ... Last week the leaves wilted ... many where completely dried out ... I could not understand it ... I did everything I knew to give it a good start ... I watered and sprayed the leaves nothing helped ... the picture shown ... some of the leave where still alive but all are wilted and dry ... it the tree dead? Is there any hope that the roots are still alive ... what happen ... I just don't understand it and I'm extremely upset about this. This is the second pink dogwood I planted that died ...

HELP!

Attached Files:

2. rosi64

rosi64 Member

I bought a dogwood at Marc's also and planed it Memorial Day weekend. It also looks dead like yours. Iwent to pettiti's garden center in Strongsville,Ohio yesterday and asked for advice.They said to use PlantTone or Holly Tone which are organic,plusSuper Phosphorus,about a fourth of a cup.I also bought some root stimulator.They said I could use all 3 to give it a boost.They said also be careful about overwatering,to poke a finger down about 3 or 4 inches and if still damp,back off on the water.Mine is also planred by itself in a sunny location,which the tag said was ok to do. Now I'm reading that they like to be an understory tree,with some shade. Oh well,good luck with yours. I'm going to keep trying,I planted a Rose of Sharon last year,and it took awhile to recover from planting,and now looks real healthy.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That advice was terrible, perhaps the opposite of what needed to be done - but it did keep you buying more products instead of bringing the tree back for satisfaction. I've worked at at least one large independent garden center myself where the policy was to do and say just about anything necessary to avoid taking back a failed plant. I once saw one of the owners tell a party bringing back a weeping laceleaf maple that had never leafed out - clearly defective merchandise - it was still alive and send them on their way.

Clearly these dogwoods were not handled properly before purchase and cannot keep themselves hydrated, or have some other severe problem. Dug with inadequate small root systems? Allowed to dry out? Even if burned by fertilizer after planting or allowed to dry out after planting if these happened in conjunction with following instructions given by the retailers they should be presented with the outcomes.

Multiple mistakes are mentioned in these two posts, before doing future planting do read the following.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda ...l Myths_files/Myths/Planting instructions.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Vitamin B1.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda ...ral Myths_files/Myths/Organic superiority.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/Horticultural Myths_files/Myths/Phosphate.pdf

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda Chalker-Scott/FactSheets/Planting fact sheet.pdf

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

Thanks for the replies ... I guess I'm the blame for the problem ... I had it planted too deep ... I replanted it at the right level ... all the leaves came off, but the roots seems to still be alive ... I may have over watered when I saw the leaves wilting and drying out ... I used some superthrive to help the roots to catch hold ... When I dug it up I took some pictures of the roots because I didn't know if they were alright or not ...

... Do you think it has a chance to recover?

Attached Files:

• dogr.JPG
      dogr.JPG
      File size:
      264.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hard to tell, look punky but are not dark brown as though definitely dead and rotting. So, it might improve if replanted.

6. rosi64

rosi64 Member

Ron B.,Thanks for the info. I'll read up on it more next time before I attempt another one.Someone else replied to my post and did say I overwatered.

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

The top branches have died ... I guess that's to be expected considering ... I'm hoping the bulk of the tree will survive ... I'm letting nature take it's course ... I haven't watered it since I gave it some superthrive ... we have been getting rain so it should be a while before I have to water it ... thanks for those links I bookmarked them so I can go over them.

8. spirittoo

spirittoo Member

One more question ... if it make it will I see leaves before the fall?