Help name this caudiciform

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by jroger, Dec 21, 2007.

1. jroger

jroger Member

I have a plant in the phytolacca species.It has a large caudiciform base on it the leaves look like poke weed which is in the same family. I bought the seeds for this plant 18 years ago from New Mexico Cactus Reasearch and all it said was it was in the phytolacca family.Please help me name this plant.No fotos but i can take some.

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

3. jroger

jroger Member

Thank youthat first pic is it but mine is much bigger.

4. jroger

jroger Member

I'll put in a foto as soon as I can right now the plant has rooted itself into the ground through the pot and my greenhouse is too full to get a good foto.I have many plants I want to show here.I have many kinds of cacti and succulents and thank you Mark.I did find the phytolacca in a link from the site.I have been looking for a place like this where I can talk to others that like caudiciforms.

5. jroger

jroger Member

Heres that foto,it's in a 12" pot.

Attached Files:

6. markinwestmich

I see you like all sorts of succulents. A green Euphorbia trigona and a spiny Fouquaria species in the background?

It appears to be time to take a hammer to that clay pot, dig up the Phytolacca, and repot. Later, if you prune it, the trunk may thicken further.

7. jroger

jroger Member

Mark the Phytolacca is about 6 -7" at the base and thye Euforbia Trigona is 6-7' tall but that Foqueria is a Euforbia (crown of thorns).I have another plant I'm not sure what is but pretty sure it is a Pachypodium. I used to go to this greenhouse in a near by town,they had plants there with labels on them not for sale.Then these people got too old to run it and their kids took over.Then one day i saw this plant for sale(the Packy) I took it in to buy expecting it to be 50$ plus but i only paid 8$ for it.It is in a 8" pot and i'm sure it is very old since I saw it there many years ago(25-30).

Attached Files:

8. markinwestmich

Looks like it may be a P. bispinosum. Does it flower for you?

9. jroger

jroger Member

I dont remember if it has bloomed or not,i just recently got back in to my plants.I'll watch it closely and it's been in that pot for years but i'm afraid to repot it being scared i'll loose it. I've been in my greenhouse every day for 2 wks getting every thing back in order.My greenhouse is 16'x16' I plan to enlarge it by 12' this summer, mainly because it's under a large pecan tree and don't get much light in summer.Maybe i need to send the foto to hiland succulents?

10. markinwestmich

Sometimes the flower is most telling of which species you have, and is why I asked.

http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/div/p.asp This is a link to Bihrmann Caudiciforms. Just click onto each of the Pachypodium species. Without the flower it makes the ID a little difficult, but the general morphology of the plant looks like a bispinosum. If so, you've got a rare one. Try finding one for sale on the web. If you can, certainly one that size and age will be a small fortune.

11. MartinDK

MartinDK Member

I am aware that the thread is a bit old but the plant is definitely a Pachypodium saundersii. Have one myself.

Best regards,

Martin, Denmark

12. phil81289

phil81289 Member

Hi,the plant you are talking about is Phytollaca species (F2) it is a cross of p.dioica x.p.weberautriix.spArgentina.i had some when i lived in los angeles.they grow very big,if you water them a lot.be carful if you plant it nearf concrete though,the roots will split it !