HELP! My plant is leaking and dying

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by jmaxg, Dec 17, 2009.

1. jmaxg

jmaxg Member

I left my plant outside and it got really cold, now it is leaking and wilting. Did I kill it, or can I save it? What should I do?

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Let's hope you just frosted your Sansevieria. That's what mine look like when hit by a killing frost, although it hasn't happened in years.

Yours may very well recover, but it will take a while to know. Trim off the wilted watery parts, which may very well be down to the soil. If you find the firm green tissue, stop cutting. It's also possible that some of the roots were frozen and will rot in the pot. Your pot looks like it's sheltered in another pot, so that's not likely to be a problem during a moderate frost.

You could lift the root ball from the pot now and trim away mushy parts, then repot in clean soil and wait for spring growth, or you could practice botanical laissez-faire and let it survive or not on its own. That's what I've done, after trimming the clearly dead upper parts because rotting wet green growth is just nasty smelling. Rotting brown not so bad.

It could take a couple of warm seasons to really rebound, but it kinda looks like you didn't exactly have the whole lush thing going for ya even before the freeze. I'd expect new growth to maybe half fill the pot this coming summer, providing plenty of undamaged roots and rhizomes.