help my philodendum is dying

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by SandeeSinks, Jan 25, 2012.

1. SandeeSinks

SandeeSinks Member

I have/had a very nice philod. had gotten rather long and was drying out fast in a small pot. so i transplanted it into a larger pot broke the old bowl lightly and set it into the bowl of the new post with new soil surrounding it. when i went to rehang it in a new hanging basket the rope broke and dumped it upside down on it's head. I dont know if it is the transplant or the fall but now it is very mad at me and the leave are not repsonding to moisture. I have clipped it back to reduce stress and am trying to root my clipping they dont want to play with me either. No matter what I do it is not responding . I have even apologized to it and petted it and talked to it. I am going to loose it soon it I cant figure out how to help it.

Sandee

2. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

These plants (I think you're meaning Pothos) will easily root from roots at the nodes. So I'm puzzled as to the problem. My last office one was rescued from a park in Miami where it and other non-native plants were being removed. It went home on a plane, grew happily.

3. SandeeSinks

SandeeSinks Member

Thank you for the reply it has baffled me as to what to do with it. I have taken cuttings to relieve stress on the main plant and am trying to root them, I know they live in water but the ends of mine turned sliminy and they wilted again of course i change the water and this time i put some rooting compound on the cuttings usually they are not this hard to root. It was so pretty and healthy I hate to loose it. again thank you. Sandee

4. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

No harm in using rooting compound! You could also try air layering--attach some soil to a node with some bagging or plastic wrap.