Help, my hibiscus hasn't bloomed since March 2007

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by carlotta, Jul 22, 2007.

1. carlotta

carlotta Member

I live in Manitoba, my Hibiscus is an indoor plant.
    I haven't had a beautiful red flower since March.
    I recieved this plant in Sept 2006, it was blooming like crazy. Then Oct, Nov the leaves all started to fall off. ( I thought that it went through a fall season)
    Then in the spring, leaves came back like crazy, I had 7 flowers. Nothing since. It is now late July.
    I water my plant once a week, the leaves are beautiful, some are turning yellow and falling off, I just want it to bloom.
    From what I have read from others on this site, it sounds like it should be blooming steady, what am I doing wrong.
    Thanks for your time,
    Carlotta

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Hibiscus love direct sunlight. Try moving it outdoors.

3. carlotta

carlotta Member

My Hibiscus gets sunlight all day where it is. I am also scared to move it outside because I don't want any pests on it. I am afraid that it will end up with more problems.
    Thanks for your information.

4. photopro

I don't know how to be extremely delicate about this one, but Hibiscus species should not be sold as "house plants". You can find them all over southern Florida and in Hawaii (it is the national flower of Hawaii) and they grow in direct sunlight. I have two large specimens in my atrium which is under glass. They bloom, but nothing like they would if outside in the sun. And my atrium has near tropical conditions minus direct sunlight. Unfortunately, I live in a climate that will not permit them to be put outdoors.

During the summer these species enjoy a great deal of water but in the winter appear to need a bit of drier conditions. If you are going to continue to grow it in the house, it can't be receiving direct sunlight. It may be near a window, but unless your house is glass it just isn't possible. And as I've said, mine don't bloom all the time either and they are under "glass" (actually Lexanâ„¢). As a result, you'll just have to learn to accept the fact it is not going to bloom all the time. You might get a bloom every now and then, but not like you'd receive if it had what nature intended it to receive.

As for pests, you are actually more likely to get pests in the house than outside. I promise, this plant is under stress right now. That is why it is not blooming. Once a plant is stressed it is more likely to have pests attack. A healthy plant that receives the conditions it expects in nature is far less likely to have pests attach. Most likely, any pests that would attach themselves can be easily controlled with a plant mineral oil (diluted) or a plant soap. Strong chemicals are rarely needed.

I wish there was a way, but people try all the time to "force" plants to grow the way "they" want them to grow. Nature has already predefined the conditions the plant should receive. Your choice is to accept what nature has predefined, or accept what happens as a result of not providing those conditions.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Have you been feeding it?

6. carlotta

carlotta Member

photopro
    Thanks for all of the great information, it makes alot of sense to me what you are saying.

7. carlotta

carlotta Member

Carol Ja
    I have mostly been watering it.
    As for feeding it I have given it a couple of doses of shur grow (does 15-30-15 mean anything to you?)
    I am very new at taking care of plants.

8. photopro

Don't start believing fertilizer will cure everything. It causes more problems than it cures. Fertilizers contains salts and if used in excess they can damage the plant. That is why fertilizer manufacturers caution about the over use of their products.

Tropical species receive almost no fertilizer in the wild. The only "fertilizers" they receive come from either dead vegetation that decomposes, thus returning nutrients to the soil, or from minerals dissolved in rain water. I use only an extremely dilute fertilizer as do most rare plant growers. And I grow many very rare species. The majority of rare plant growers who are successful comply with the "fertilize weakly, weekly" syndrome. I know the hibiscus is not rare, but the same method of growing applies.

A little fertilizer may help, but in your case it is almost certain the plant is wanting more sunlight. It is simply the nature of the species. I have been guilty many times of trying to grow species in my tropical atrium that love full sun with little success. But, sometimes still I try! And so do many others! But nature always tends to win.

If you truly want to see your plant bloom again, move it to a sunny location until the weather begins to cool down to the low 40's. Then bring it back indoors for the winter. You probably won't see blooms during the winter but at least you can enjoy them in the summer.

9. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I don't believe that a plant left in a pot can survive for huge periods of time without some sort of food other than the soil it will easily consume. Nobody said 'chemical' fertilizer. there are lots of options.

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

11. photopro

I didn't say "don't feed it". I said to be cautious about thinking fertilizer is the solution to every plant problem. If I offened you, that was not my intent. But I have long done research in an attempt to help people overcome the way of thinking that plants can be taken from their natural enviroment and forced to exist anywhere we wish.

I read on boards like this all the time "have you fertilized it?". That is the number one advice people often give. Fertilizer should be used sparingly. You and any other grower are however free to feed and grow their plants as they choose. I just talk to number of reputable botanists every week and pass along their advice.

12. photopro

Carlotta,

I just looked up the American Hibiscus Society's recommendations for fertilizers. You can read them here, and I suggest you do so:

http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/bfertins.html

A simple summary is they recommend fertilizing lightly, but often. I believe if you check my earlier recommendation I suggested to fertilize "weakly, weekly". Any grower is obviously free to feed and water as they choose. But the folks at the American Hibiscus Society grow some pretty awesome plants.

Good luck regardless how you choose to approach the problem of infrequent blooms.