Help!! My Hedgehog ate pencil cactus sap, is he going to die?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Elise Gooding :), Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Elise Gooding :)

Elise Gooding :) New Member

Hi everyone! I had my hedgehog, Bennie, out to play, and my room is covered in plants. Normally, he likes to play in them and hide in them, but I glanced over from my computer to see him nibbling on my stick cactus/ pencil cactus...This is very worrisome, as I have been told the sap is toxic and heard of people going blind from getting it in their eyes. He did not get very much of the sap, I don't think, but he is very small so I'm concerned that it might be worse for him than it is for a human. Is my hedgehog going to die? I was unable to find anything about the results of ingesting stick cactus sap, so I'm panicking. What can I do to help neutralize the effect of the sap if it does affect him? Is the sap acidic or basic? If I know that, I can maybe give him something of the opposite standing to neutralize the sap. I already gave him water.... Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!! Have a great day :)

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

How is your hedgehog?

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

As Daniel asks above---how is Bennie by now?
    I am hoping that he has suffered no ill effects from euphorbia-nibbling.
    Knowing hedgehogs (I am currently hog-sitting my daughter's), I would not be surprised if Bennie relished the taste!

For those readers unacquainted with the behavior of these spiny guys, unusual smells/tastes will often produce licking, chewing, and ultimately 'self-anointing'. If not ready for this maneuver, one could easily mistake it for a bout of hydrophobia!

If he got just a nibble I would think he would be OK.
    Let us know!
    Suggest posting your question on one of the online hedgehog forums. Here is one:
    Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum