Help Me With a Research Project? MANY Species to be Identified!

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Veronica Rodriguez-Jurado, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Veronica Rodriguez-Jurado

Veronica Rodriguez-Jurado New Member

Hello all,

I am a third year student of biology here at UBC and am currently working on a group research project involving use of native and non-native plants in UBC landscaping. I have set out to collect abundance data on many species of plants around campus, and now I need to find their identities.

I have many species to identify, some of which I am sure should be quite simple to get.

Thank you in advance for any and all help :)

Veronica

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

4881 and 4883 are Camellia japonica, 4885 and I assume 4886 look like Prunus lusitanica. I don't know ferns, but probably sword fern, Polystichum munitum. A guess on 4887 of Cistus (rock rose).

3. Veronica Rodriguez-Jurado

Veronica Rodriguez-Jurado New Member

Thank you very much! I guessed sword fern also, but that is only one I feel confident about. I am trying to go off the EFlore website, which unfortunately is most useful during summer months!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

EFlora BC is really only useful for native plants, so the cultivated material on campus will not be in it. @Michael F should be able to identify the first pic.