Help me, please..

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cc1989, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Muhahaha… oh, Steve… garden plants are usually light to ID… endemic wild plants, spontaneuos hybrids, etc., are much harder!!! :)))

I think this is a bit stupid thing, not to help somebody to ID a plant, just because she is a student...

Because:

1. She can wright a similar thread like my example, then she can get an ID…

2. Could be that she needs the names, because she WANTS TO LEARN SOMETHING!!! I think it’s OK, when she wants to learn some plantnames…

3. A simple homework means nothing… no matter if she can do it, or not… nobody will be a good botanist, just because her stupid homeworks were well done… If she wants to know the plants really good (and get a job as a botanist), then she has to spend a lot of time with plants, plant ID, scientific books, etc. And this works well just when she is botany-maniac, and this is her hobby also…

(4. I’m also a very lazy (landscape architect + conservationist) student… For exaple I have done my school Herbarium with a steam iron last night before my exam, BUT I don’t think I’m so very-very weak in botany and plant ID… because this is one of my hobbies, I spend a very-very lot of time with gardening, plant ID, botany books, etc… so no time for my boring homeworks! :)))

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hold on, is it cheating if they find a botanist or plant nut in their area and ask them about the plants? If you're faced with unfamiliar plants and don't even know where to start, that's not cheating at all.

This board is like global plant-nut-R-us. We're internationalising the help desk.

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't really mind helping a student sometimes. For example, sometimes teachers give unreasonable assignments. Some students don't have access to libraries, or libraries don't have good plant books. Yup, some students are just lazy, but as long as they are not also rude, I can sometimes excuse that. CC has been very pleasant here in dialogue (even witty), which means she has expended some effort for her answers, and that, to me, makes it tolerable. Not that I helped any in this case, mind you.

4. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

At the end of the day, many of us have helped (or, in my case, would have helped if I had a clue of the IDs). The "help" hasn't always been kind. Perhaps we should decide to help or just pass the thread by.

5. cc1989

cc1989 Member

Cereusly Steve, if you think that I’m cheating…Well, thanks for helping me to cheat…

“When you teach something, you learn something.” That’s what my teacher told me…and I believe that when you help, you’ll definitely gain some extra knowledge…hope you understand this… : )

To those who have helped, here’s a big THANK YOU for you all…Sincere.